MORE ADULT DESSERTS
THESE USE TWO OF MY FAVORITE DESSERT ITEMS – CHOCOLATE AND ALCOHOL! Baking is about the ONLY time I follow a recipe. Baking is to Science as Cooking is to Art. It is dangerous to change a baking recipe BEFORE you have made it as the recipe calls for at least once.. then you can take a chance and change some of the ingredients. Hope you enjoy them!
KAHLUA CREAM PIE
This type of cake is called a Boston Cream Pie in the USA… I have no idea if it is served anyplace else in the world. They never last long enough to grow stale……keep out of reach of those under the legal drinking age!
- cooking spray
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ CUP Kahlua or other coffee liquor
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spray 2 (8-inch) cake pans with cooking spray.
- Stir yellow cake mix, 3 eggs, water, and vegetable oil in a bowl until moistened. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Divide cake batter between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cakes have risen and are lightly golden brown, 33 to 38 minutes. Check for doneness after 25 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes should come out clean. Allow cakes to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pans. Cool cakes completely, about 40 minutes.
- Whisk 3 eggs, cornstarch, and sugar in a large bowl until well mixed and lemon colored, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whole milk, and 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until it just begins to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; pour egg mixture into cream mixture and whisk until thick, about 1 minute.
- Pour egg and cream mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl; discard any chunks.
- Whisk vanilla and salt into the egg and cream mixture until combined. Cover with a layer of plastic wrap pressed against the surface. Chill in refrigerator to form a pastry cream texture, 3 to 4 hours.
- Place chocolate in a large bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon butter and 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream in a saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted. Pour cream mixture over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Set aside until cooled, but still pourable, about 20 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on a plate, flat side up and poke holes with a meat fork all over. Pour ¼ cup or so of Kahlua or other Coffee Liquor over and let it soak in a few moments. Spread pastry cream to within 1-inch of the edge of cake. Place second cake layer on top, rounded side up and GENTLY poke holes in it. GENTLY pour the remaining Kahlua or Coffee Liquor over the cake and let soak in. Press gently to push pastry cream to the edge. Pour chocolate mixture over top of the cake and spread so it drips over the edge.
If serving this to guests aboard your narrowboat be very careful. After one piece conversation flows… after a second slice grumpy old men have been known to burst into song!
MEXICAN MOCHA BUNDT CAKE
I usually serve a cake like this or a similar one with Demon Rum for festive family gatherings… which now that the kids are all grown up, married and on their own with the boys in the US Army.. a FULL family gathering just does not seem to ever get to happen! IF you do not have Coffee Liquor, a dark rum, the blacker the better works and so does brandy.
- 1 (5.1 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix (such as Pillsbury® Moist Supreme® Dark Chocolate flavor)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup coffee flavored liqueur FOR A MILD CAKE –MORE FOR AN ADULT CAKE!
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso coffee granules, divided
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Confectioner’s sugar or powdered sugar for “dusting”
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Combine 1/2 package of vanilla pudding mix with 1 cup of milk in a bowl, and set aside.
- Place 1/2 package of vanilla pudding mix, cake mix, vegetable oil, eggs, 1 cup of milk, cinnamon, coffee liqueur, and 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules into a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low until just combined, about 30 seconds, then beat on high for 2 minutes. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared cake pan. Spoon the vanilla pudding in an even layer over the top of the batter, sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon of instant coffee granules, and cover with the rest of the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and invert onto a plate. Cool for 5 more minutes, and – FOR ADULT VERSION: GENTLY POKE HOLES WITH A MEAT FORK ON THE TOP OF THE CAKE AND POUR IN ADDITIONAL COFFEE LIQUOR… then dust with confectioners’ sugar [powdered sugar].
CHOCOLATE ORANGE DEVIL CAKE
Use a tube pan or a Bundt cake pan to make this rich dessert. Adjust the alcohol amount to your personal preference. When I make this cake I like to use Sabra, the Israeli Chocolate-Orange Liquor…. But plain Orange Liquor works well also…. THIS CAKE HAS A DRY AND GRAINY TEXTURE – WITHOUT ADDING THE ALCOHOL IT IS NOT MY FAVORITE CAKE!
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- In a bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Beat in the eggs, then the sour cream, vanilla and orange rind.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Beat into the creamed mixture just until incorporated and then stir in the almonds.
- Turn the batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Bake in a 350 degrees F (175 degree C) oven for 1 hour, or until it tests done with a toothpick. Let cool on a rack. Makes 16 servings.
OR USE A PACKAGED YELLOW CAKE MIX FOR A MOISTER CAKE – FOLLOW PACKAGE DIRECTIONS BUT SUBSTITUTE ½ CUP ORANGE JUICE FOR ½ CUP WATER… ADD THE ALMONDS, COCO POWDER AND ORANGE ZEST….
- AFTER the cake has cooled and is “plated” take your trusty meat fork and poke gently holes all over the cake downwards toward the cake plate. Pour in your Sabra or Orange Liquor and dust with powdered/confectioner’s sugar.
This cake should serve 16 people… but since husbands automatically get TWO servings, the number goes down fast!
Feel free to contact me at : firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, comments, recipes or suggestions… please use the unattached complaint form should you have a complaint….