A Near Death experience, CO alarms a must and a costly mistake.
Hi everyone no I’m not writing this from the other side. This is not a ghostly missive but maybe it could have been. Here are a couple of reminders for everyone about CO alarms and chimney cleaning and a slightly embarassing not knowing your boat’s electical system as well as you should.
Firstly I was rudely awoken by the shreiking of legions of the damned at 1.30 am Saturday morning. Leaping out of bed I discovered it was in fact my Carbon Monoxide alarm which I hastily took off the wall, stuck my finger over the speaker while I worked out how to silence it. In my half comatose state I opened a couple of windows reset the alarm, opened the fire up a little as I thought if it burns hotter it might stop the CO production and crawled back into bed. It went off again in quite a short time so I leapt out of bed again and opened some more windows and the houdini hatch too and went back to bed again after resetting the alarm. This time it stayed silent.
In the morning I let the fire out so I could check the stove. I had done a thorough clean of the stove and chimney in the late summer to make sure everything was ok for when winter set in. My baffle plate doesn’t come out as it is an integral part of the stove so it’s not easy to clean but I had done it at the end of summer. I got my hand in and felt on top of the baffle plate and instead of a smooth metal plate there was what felt like cold molten rock which on the right hand side had formed a stalagmite type structure from the baffle plate to the roof of the stove. Oh bugger I thought, this is fairly solid. The only thing I could get in to chip away at it was an electrical small screwdriver. After about 10 or 15 minutes I’d broken a few pieces off when it cracked and the mass of it then came loose to shouts of joy as I was beginning to think of other ways to get at it. It was about 3 or 4 inches across and about an inch high overall with a bit of it joining up with the flue. Now I have only had the fire on regularly for about 4 weeks or so and I never thought that it would want checking so soon but I will let it out once a fortnight or slightly less and check the baffle plate. I then borrowed Tim’s chimney brush, it really is wonderful having good neighbours, see second half of post too, and gave it a good sweep out.
If I hadn’t had the Carbon Monoxide, CO, alarm what would have happened? Would I have woke up to find myself deceased, kaput, an exboater, regretting not having strangled a few worthy people before departing for the ultimate cruise. It might just have been a bad headache and severe tiredness but then would I have put that down to carbon monoxide or just being under the weather and stoked up the fire and gone to bed early again. It makes you think. Well it has me.
The costly mistake was a few weeks ago, infact probably about 4 or 5 weeks ago, my batteries finally gave up and after taking one out to check the colour of the spyglass hole and it was white which means it is no more. I took it round to Midland Chandlers and they checked it and it was an ex battery as where the other two when I took them out. 3 new batteries where needed which cost £240 give or take a few sheckels. They did ask about the charger which I said must have been working ok as I’d not had any trouble before. This was partly a lie but in fairness it was what I believed.
After installing the new batteries the battery level indicator read about 80% yeah. However now that I’m not out and about as much as I was and the nights longer I kept more of a watch on the battery levels which dropped fairly quickly. Now a chance conversation with one of my neighbours, Ken, about battery levels and as he know a bit more than me he asked about a charger. So we had a look round and in the engine room and checked the inverter as they can be inverter/chargers. Mine isn’t. Ken fetched is volt meter and the batteries were at a reading of 12.09 volts which is about 25%. Not good so the engine was run for an hour or so which boosted them up to a more healthy 50%. Good neighbours are worth their weight in brass fittings.Anyway after a search and a bit of reading of the Adverc battery management manual I don’t have a battery charger so through my ignorance it has cost me £240 before it should have done.
I’m certain Brian who sold me the boat must have mentioned it but at the time of picking her up there were so many things he went over with me before we set out that I obviously didn’t latch onto it and assumed when plugged into shoreline power that my leisure batteries were being topped up. So if you are thinking of buying an older boat check this out as it isn’t a great problem if you haven’t got one it’s just a problem if you don’t know you haven’t got one.
Now I can spend the winter deciding wether to install a battery charger for hook up or to invest instead in some solar panels to charge them up.
I have so much to learn and only one life to do it in, well as far as we know.
Take care out there.